Amenities & Location
Location: The rural community of Hills is located north of New Denver, B.C., in the Slocan Valley region in the West Kootenay… all of which is in British Columbia, Canada.
Note that the location pin shown on the Google map on this web-site is approximate, it simply shows the centre of the community of Hills. Once your booking is confirmed you’ll be provided with exact directions, we are tucked away up a private country lane.
What about access in the winter? Winter guests must have good winter snow tires.
Minimum stay? Nope, you may stay one night or as many as you like.
Is there a reduced rate if we stay for a week? You bet. Stay 6 nights and get your 7th night FREE.
Distance to the lake: Less than a kilometre… a short drive (takes less than 3 minutes) or take a pleasant stroll to the lake along forested paths, a walk of 12 to 15 minutes each way. We are near two of the best, most pristine beaches on Slocan Lake.
Is the Cottage in Hills waterfront? No, we are 3 minutes to Slocan Lake by vehicle.
We want to bring a boat: Watercraft can be put in at designated boat launches, there is one nearby here in Hills. Be aware that there is no public marina on Slocan Lake and no on-lake fuel facility. Visitors with boats pull them out of the water at the end of the day and keep them on their boat-trailers. We have room for your boat and trailer.
Where can I rent a lake-shore cabin with a dock for my boat? Not on Slocan Lake. Please save yourself searching: there are no waterfront vacation cabins or cottages with boat-launches or docks anywhere on Slocan Lake due to the steep, inaccessible nature of the shoreline.
Does the Cottage in Hills have a lake view or a mountain view? Both!
View from the Cottage in Hills
How long does it take to get to the Cottage in Hills? Driving time:
Approximate summer travel times to The Cottage in Hills are shown below. Allow time for weather conditions and, where applicable, ferry schedules (see below).
Note the the community of Hills is north of New Denver B.C. and southeast of the Village of Nakusp.
- Calgary: about 7 hours driving time plus ferry crossing of about 20 minutes
- Vancouver: about 8 hours driving time
- Kelowna: about 4 hours driving time
- Vernon: about 2.5 hours driving time
- Revelstoke: 2 to 2.5 hours driving time
- Spokane, Washington, USA (allow time for border crossing): 4 to 4.5 hours driving time
Ferry information, coming from Vernon on Highway 6:
- Needles Cable Ferry times (Free ferry)
Ferry information, coming from Revelstoke on Highway 23:
- Shelter Bay (Arrow Lakes) Ferry times (Free ferry)
Other useful links:
A few of our amenities:
- Outdoor cast-iron fireplace for campfire singalongs, wiener roasting and marshmallow toasting, firewood provided (cute Dachshund not included)
- Free internet access
- Friendly, helpful hosts with extensive knowledge of the local area
- Room for your outdoor-recreation equipment (e.g. canoes, kayaks, boats, paddle-boards, bikes, X-C skis, etc.)
- Room to play outside… breathe the fresh mountain air, hike or bike from your front door, walk to the lake for a refreshing swim, or simply hang out in a lawn-chair with a novel
What’s there to do in winter? Winter is lovely in Hills with abundant snow and excellent skiing and snowshoeing.
- We are minutes away from a world-class network of cross-country ski trails (in fact you can ski right from your door)
- Limitless back-country opportunities for skiing and snowshoeing
- 15 minutes to Summit Lake Ski Hill (downhill and telemark skiing)
- Soak in the serene and pristine Nakusp Hot Springs (about 30 minutes drive)
- Go out for a meal in Nakusp or New Denver
- Sip hot chocolate around our outdoor fireplace
- Nestle into a recliner chair with a book (or movie on your tablet)
- Simply sit and relish the blissful peace and quiet
Viewing the Cottage in Hills: If you would like to view the accommodation in person we would be happy to accommodate you. Please make arrangements in advance with the manager using the contact form on this site or phone 250-358-2722.