Amenities & Location
Location of the Cottage in Hills: The rural community of Hills is located north of New Denver, B.C., in the Slocan Valley region in the West Kootenay… all of which is in British Columbia, Canada.
Note that the location pin shown on the Google map on this web-site is approximate, it simply shows the centre of the community of Hills. Once your booking is confirmed you’ll be provided with exact directions to the Cottage which is tucked away up a private country lane.
What about access in the winter? Winter guests must have a FOUR-WHEEL-DRIVE VEHICLE with good winter snow tires. In spring/summer/fall a regular vehicle is fine for driving to the Cottage in Hills.
Do you have a minimum stay? Yes, our minimum stay is:
4-night stay in Summer high season,
2-night stay during the Spring and Fall shoulder seasons
4-night stay during the winter snow-months (Dec. Jan. Feb. March)
Is there a reduced rate if we stay for a week? You bet. Stay 6 nights and get your 7th night FREE.
Distance to the lake: Less than a kilometre… a short drive (takes less than 3 minutes) or take a pleasant stroll to the lake along forested paths, a walk of 12 to 15 minutes each way. We are near two of the most pristine beaches on Slocan Lake.
Is the Cottage in Hills waterfront? No, we are 3 minutes from the lake by vehicle.
We have a boat: Watercraft can be put in at designated boat launches, there is one nearby here in Hills. Be aware that there is no public marina on Slocan Lake and no on-lake fuel facility. Visitors with boats pull them out of the water at the end of the day and keep them on their boat-trailers. We have room at The Cottage in Hills for your boat and trailer.
Where can I rent a lake-shore cabin with a dock for my boat? Not on Slocan Lake. Please save yourself searching: there are no waterfront vacation cabins or cottages with boat-launches or docks anywhere on Slocan Lake due to the steep, inaccessible nature of the shoreline.
Does the Cottage in Hills have a lake view or a mountain view? Mountain view. From the cottage you see the impressive Valhalla range including Big Sister Mountain, shown here. The cottage is located at the north end of Slocan Lake but you can’t see the lake — we are in the interior temperate rainforest region so there are lots of beautiful trees in the way. The views (summer and winter) are shown in the photos below:
Is the Cottage in Hills accessible for those who are elderly or differently-abled? The cottage is a two-storey building with the bedrooms and lounge area on the upper level. It is not wheelchair accessible due to the stairs. In some situations we can move things around to accommodate those with mobility challenges. Please contact the manager to discuss your needs.
How long does it take to get to the Cottage in Hills? Driving time:
Approximate summer travel times to The Cottage in Hills are shown below. Allow time for weather conditions and, where applicable, ferry schedules (see below).
Note the the community of Hills is north of New Denver B.C. and southeast of the Village of Nakusp.
- Calgary: about 7 hours driving time plus ferry crossing of about 20 minutes
- Vancouver: about 8 hours driving time
- Kelowna: about 4 hours driving time
- Vernon: about 2.5 hours driving time
- Revelstoke: 2 to 2.5 hours driving time
- Spokane, Washington, USA (allow time for border crossing): 4 to 4.5 hours driving time
Ferry information, coming from Vernon on Highway 6:
- Needles Cable Ferry times (Free ferry)
Ferry information, coming from Revelstoke on Highway 23:
- Shelter Bay (Arrow Lakes) Ferry times (Free ferry)
Other useful links:
Amenities at the Cottage: This 1,300 sq. ft. vacation cottage features:
Sleeps 6 guests. Beds: one queen bed, one double bed and one pull-out sofa-bed (double size).
Master bedroom also has an en-suite (sink and toilet)
Lovely private setting, tucked away at the end of a country lane in peaceful Hills, B.C.
Covered front porch: relax with a view of the mountains and enjoy outdoor dining in any weather
Fully-equipped kitchen (below) has everything you need to prepare meals from a light breakfast to a full roast-turkey dinner: all dishes, utensils, cutlery, pots & pans, microwave, toaster, coffee pot, grinder and french press, fridge, stove, everything including the kitchen sink
Dining room (below)
Kitchen: Cafe table with stools in the kitchen… for your morning coffee or a light snack
Main-floor bathroom with sink, toilet and tub/shower
Comfortable lounge area with pull-out sofa-bed.
Flat-screen TV and a DVD library of +200 movies
Second sleeping area upstairs with a pillow-top double bed and a private deck
Cheerful landscaping with lounging areas in sun and shade, flake out on the hammock
- Free internet access nearby (on the property but not inside the cottage) a few steps down the lane
- Friendly, helpful hosts with extensive knowledge of the local area
- Plenty of parking and room for your outdoor-recreation equipment (e.g. canoes, kayaks, boats, paddle-boards, bikes, X-C skis, etc.)
- Room to play outside… breathe the fresh mountain air, hike or bike from your front door, walk to the lake for a refreshing swim, or simply hang out in a lawn-chair with a novel
What’s there to do at The Cottage in Hills in winter? Winter is lovely in Hills with abundant snow and excellent skiing and snowshoeing. Please note that due to its remote location, winter guests require a four-wheel-drive vehicle with good winter snow tires to reach the cottage.
- We are minutes away from a world-class network of cross-country ski trails (in fact you can ski there right from your front porch)
- Limitless back-country opportunities for skiing and snowshoeing
- Minutes to the Summit Lake Ski Hill (downhill and telemark skiing)
- Soak in the serene and pristine Nakusp Hot Springs (about 35 minutes drive)
- Go out for a meal in Nakusp or New Denver — or make your own supper at the cottage
- Sip hot chocolate around our outdoor fireplace
- Nestle into a rocking chair with a book in front of a crackling wood-stove,
- Watch a movie, listen to music, play old-school board games, do a puzzle at the dining room table, or…
- Simply sit and relish the blissful peace and quiet
Viewing the Cottage in Hills: If you would like to view the Cottage in Hills in person we would be happy to accommodate you. Please make arrangements in advance with the manager using the contact form on this site or phone 250-358-2722.